We have many different types of bacteria in our system, beneficial/symbiotic and disease-causing, so it pays us to encourage the beneficial bacteria and one of the most effective ways of doing this is to consume fermented foods which are high in lactic-acid producing bacteria. These are some of our favorites:
- Kombucha– Fermented, slightly fizzy and sweet tea drink full of all the probiotics/beneficial yeast to keep your gut in good shape.
- Kimchi –Korean classic dish served with almost every meal. Spicy fermented cabbage which is tasty, has a nice bite and provides all the probiotic benefits.
- Sauerkraut – Sauerkraut fermentation creates conditions to promote beneficial probiotics. Finely shredded with layers of salt, this fermented cabbage classic has been used for medicinal qualities for many generations.
- Kefir– A fermented milk drink made with kefir grains, basically the next stage of Yogurt – a yeast/bacterial fermentation starter. Lots of healthy bacteria in a serving.
- Sourdough Bread–Made by fermentation of dough using naturally occurring lacto-bacilli and yeast. These ingredients assist in reducing phytic acid, aiding digestion, allowing more nutrient absorption and prevents bloating.